Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Memory Lane Monday...


This is a picture of when my sweet nephew (Brodie) was born. It's so surreal to me seeing a baby in the flesh when moments before they were inside the womb. Just another way I'm in awe of God and his creativity. Anyway, Brodie was picture perfect in appearance; 10 fingers, 10 toes and he was a healthy weight and we were there minutes after he was delivered and it was such a happy time, we were celebrating and then everything drastically changed. Dr.'s and staff kept coming in and out of the room wanting to listen to Brodie's heart and we all were scared to death. I held my sisters hand while they delivered mind blowing bad news that Brodie had to be rushed by helicopter to Children's Hospital and we were told he "MIGHT" live. He was born with congenital aortic stenosis. A VERY serious heart disorder that he would have died from but my Lord and Savior swept in and saved the day and now this is Brodie (see below). He's strong and smart and brave beyond any 2 year old I know. He's had multiple heart surgeries and one full blown open heart surgery and I just wanted to remind myself, family and my legions of readers (ha ha) we never know what we'll get in this life. We are not promised happiness and if anything is guaranteed it's that we'll experience unimaginable hurt, heartache, disappointment and pain.
Sean's aunt Sonja sent me a little quote that I'd like to share, it's from the book Purpose Driven Life, "This is the true joy of life: the being used up for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clot of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy." (Page 33)

Look at Brodie below, whom God saw fit to give us more time with and I'm so incredibly loving every second with him.

1 comment:

patty said...

A few minor discrepancies in your story, but what a nice entry. Always good to be reminded how lucky we are to have my little angel around!! I wish I could make it through one day without thinking about it, but I highly doubt that will ever happen. I assume that's how it's supposed to be. I enjoy the good days, months, and years and dread when the time will come to have to travel down that dark and dreary road! But THANK GOD that I have the most amazing support system and know that I will make it no matter what ever happens. I love you sissy and thanks for keeping us a part of your blog!